Pages

The "S" Word

Skinny


People always say that they want to get "skinny" for the summer and bikini season. Being "skinny" seems to be the magical key to happiness nowadays and its really getting on my nerves. For one thing, skinniness does not equal healthiness and happiness. Not everyone is built to be a twig. I know that I will never be a size 0 simply because for my body it's not physically possible. Here in California I have felt the most pressure I've ever felt to be skinny because there's such a focus on superficial beauty. I went prom dress shopping at a formal boutique and there were at least 4 racks of size 0 and only 1 rack of my size dresses which are size 8. The girls in there were judging each other like I've never seen before and I couldn't believe how intense the atmosphere was. 

I personally do not value another person's weight and I choose not to put much value in my own weight. Being "skinny" has never been something that I have strived for but recently it seems like, in order to be pretty and be deemed acceptable by guys, I have to shed pound after pound until I'm that perfect "S" word.

No more.


I was at my physical therapist's office the other day and as she was working my spine back into its normal position, we were discussing how women always want to be thinner, and how that thinner = prettier. She brought to my attention, that boys really don't look for a girl who is a twig. When girls choose to become "skinnier", all they are really doing that for is other girls. I'm choosing to apply that concept in my life.

So unless I'm becoming healthier for myself, I will not try to become skinny. Being 5' 3" and 110 pounds won't do anything for me but make me miserable trying to get to that weight. Instead, I will make better choices for myself and be the weight that I am happiest and healthiest at. 

Leave a Reply